Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Ask Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
I am due  a promotion  at my  job,  but  I think  I'm the only one  who thinks so . I have  been there for  five years  and I have watched  several people  get promoted in front of me . Whenever  I have said  anything  about it, I get the brushoff . The  last time I spoke to my boss, he said the reason  I didn't  get the latest  promotion  is  because I have a bad attitude . Is that a legitimate  reason  to be passed over ? I can't  help it at this point , I am so angry  that they don't  see my potential, but I can't  figure  out what else I can do to prove it to them . Is it time  for me to look for another  job ? I'm so frustrated .
Pulling Out  My Hair
Dear Pulling  Out  Hair ,
It is  time  for you to listen closely  to your boss  and  your  peers . If you have been passed over  repeatedly, it  can not  be everybody else's issue . You have some responsibility . Review  your behavior. Note  specific  incidents  when your  behavior   has been  questionable . Consider how  you might have handled  the situation  differently .
Request  a meeting with your  boss  to discuss your  future. Ask for  candid  feedback  and  guidance  on what  you can  do to improve  your  skills  and  your  chances for  promotion . Be mindful  not to bring  up other  co-workers  and their progress . Keep your focus on yourself .
I highly recommend  that you work  at your  current  job, if at all possible . If and when  you leave, let it  be with skills  that you have  cultivated  that  make  you more  marketable . Resist the  the emotional reactions that can easily  cause you to be  fired  or be limited  in growth  at your  current  job . Stay calm  and continue  to learn and  grow .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
My family gets substantial financial  aid  from my children's school . We are grateful, especially since it  didn't  start  out that way . We paid full tuition  at first, but when I lost my  job, everything  shifted . I used to  involved in lots of activities  at the school, but now I wonder  if I should continue . I don't  know  if other families  know that we get  financial  aid .  I don't want to  be embarrassed  by our  situation . Should I just  stay quiet  or do you think  it  makes sense to stay involved ?
On the  Dole
Dear On the  Dole ,
You must change  your  mindset . There is  no need for shame  in getting  financial aid . It exists  to support  families  who need  it . There  should be  no stigma  attached  to you  or your family  as a result of it, and chances  are that  has only  happened  in your mind's worst case scenario . By all means, continue  to be active  in the parent body . Your  presence  should  be as appreciated  as  any other parent's .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
I appreciate  your  printing  the letter  about  the rare  congenital disorder  schizencephaly .
As a pathologist  with special training  in childhood diseases , I would  also like  to bring attention to the non-profit  organization  known as  NORD  ( national organization for rare disorders ).
They are  headquartered  in Danbury, Conn . Their website  rarediseases.org, has a wealth of information about  rare diseases, most of which become symptomatic  in infancy or  childhood  . Their user-friendly  website  has separate sections  for patients  and their  families, patient  support  organizations  and  medical  professionals .
---JW
Dear JW ,
Thank you. We are very grateful for your much needed input .
This is one  I didn't have.  Again, JW, thank  you .
Maxy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs