Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ask Maxy

 
 
Dear Maxy ,
I've been trying to write a novel for a year . The problem is , I have no support from my family . My wife and friends  always groan when I ask them to read  what I've written . I'm trying to be considerate of their level of interest  and don't want them annoyed with me, but I need some feedback  on my writing . That being said , would you know where  I could send my pages  for review ? I'd like to know if my story is interesting the way I'm writing it, or if I need to develop it better .
Amateur Author
Dear Author ,
There are various ways to get your written material  in front of an aydience . You can ask writing teachers to look at it . You can search for a writers workshop  or try meetup.com for a writing group that critiques members' work . You can self-publish (you are responsible for all costs), put it in a blog  or on internet sites for free (you will get myriad comments  and you'd better have a thick skin), enter a writing contest  or submit a short version to a magazine . You also can go to the nearest library and find listing of literary agents .
An agent will help get your book into the hands of a reputable publisher or reviewer. Getting published is not easy but if you have  talent and skill , it is possible . Good luck.
Maxy

Dera Maxy,
Our daughter was asked to be maid of honor at her friend's wedding .  She was very excited  about it . We planned a small shower for her  closest friends  and her mother had given us a list of 78 women  to invite . I checked  the etiquette book  and found no encouragement  for such a large event . The 78 women are also invited to the weddding reception .
We simply cannot afford such a large shower  and the bride's parents know it . I do not understand how they could expect us to handle such a large event . Our daughter does not want to lose  the bride's friendship . Should she bow out the wedding?
Anxious
Dear Anxious,
No bride should demand such extravagant favors . Your daughter should tell her that she cannot manage such a large affair  and ask that the guest list be trimmed to 30 women  or however many she can afford to host .  Your daughter could also ask the other bridemaids  to host this shower  with her, providing more resources and perhaps accommodating a larger guest list .
If the other bridemaids are not interested  or if the bride insists on 78 women, your daughter should offer to bow out  of the wedding party . I hope the bride  will then understand  how unreasonable she is being  and back off .
Maxy

Dear Maxy,
I am a college student  who has started at a new job recently  and I really love it . However I have a problem . At first I didn't notice it , but now I realize that my boss is hitting on me . When it started, the things he did seemed simple nice gestures , which I thought  nothing of , but now it seems obvious, I am at a loss . Recently, he asked me out  and I don't know really what I should do . He is nice  and not some creepy old  man ... he is 26  and I am 20 . My friends say I should report him, but I don't want to lose this great job  and he seems like a nice guy .
Confronted
Dear Confronted ,
Rather than report him , speak to your boss directly . I know it can seem difficult , but I recommend that you ask him if you can have a moment of his time . Then, tell him you are flattered  that he wants to go out with you  , but you want to keep your relationship strictly professional . Tell him that you hope  he understands . Tell him that you love your job  and appreciate  the opportunity to work there . Tell him that you are not interested in dating the boss .
By speaking to him directly, you may be able to squash the situation . If however, you feel there will be repercussions, go to human resources  and explain  what has occurred  and what your concerns are .
Maxy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs